One of the oldest and historical buildings is the George Richard’s Building located at the corner of Blackwell and Sussex Streets open in 1869. It was a modern department store, carrying a complete line of stationary, groceries, furniture, hardware, dry goods, shoes and sporting goods.
The store also had a large fleet of attractive red and gold horse drawn delivery wagons, pulled by 2 and 3 horse teams. They did $300,000. a year and were the largest department store in Morris County!
In later years generations knew this building as J.J Newberry Co.
This building is used today as Berkeley College.
Post Card photo is 1930’s circa
George Richards was Dover’s first mayor – 1869-71.